Trump Wants Keystone XL ‘Awoken From the Grave’ as Part of Canada-U.S. Deal

Donald Trump has reached for one of the most politically charged symbols in Canada-U.S. energy history just as the two countries race to settle another bruising trade dispute. After pausing a threatened 50% tariff on roughly $20 billion worth of Canadian goods, the U.S. president declared that Canada and the United States had a deal pending final documents — then added that the long-cancelled Keystone XL pipeline “may be awoken from the grave.”

The remark immediately put the pipeline back into the Canada-U.S. conversation. But there is an important distinction: neither government has confirmed that rebuilding Keystone XL is a formal condition of the emerging agreement. Prime Minister Mark Carney has said substantial progress has been made while acknowledging that important work remains, leaving the precise role of energy infrastructure in the negotiations unresolved.

Keystone Returns at the Eleventh Hour

Trump’s Keystone remark came during an unusually tense stretch of Canada-U.S. negotiations. Washington had been preparing to impose a new 50% tariff on about $20 billion worth of Canadian imports before Trump postponed the measure until 12:01 a.m. EDT on Saturday. Negotiators are simultaneously discussing reductions to existing U.S. tariffs on Canadian vehicles, steel and aluminum, making the agreement much broader than any single pipeline project. Canadian trade minister Dominic LeBlanc and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer were scheduled to meet again Thursday after reporting significant progress.

What Trump did not provide was equally important. His social-media announcement said Keystone XL “may” return, but offered no indication that Canada had formally agreed to rebuild it or finance it. That makes the pipeline, for now, more of a potential component of the broader economic relationship than a confirmed trade concession. Still, its appearance was not entirely unexpected. Carney himself raised the possibility of Keystone XL with Trump during White House discussions in October 2025 while looking for areas where deeper energy cooperation could benefit both economies.

Why Keystone XL Still Carries So Much Political Weight

The original Keystone XL was never a small infrastructure proposal. The planned U.S. section would have stretched roughly 875 miles from the Canadian border in Montana through South Dakota and Nebraska, connecting near Steele City, Nebraska. It was designed to move as much as 830,000 barrels of crude per day, largely from Western Canada, before connecting with infrastructure capable of moving oil toward major U.S. refining and storage centres. The U.S. State Department received more than 1.9 million comments during one phase of its environmental review, illustrating how intensely the project divided communities and political movements.

That fight lasted through three U.S. presidencies. Barack Obama’s administration rejected Keystone XL in 2015. Trump revived its prospects during his first term, but Joe Biden revoked its presidential permit on his first day in office in January 2021. TC Energy subsequently terminated the project that June. Equipment and partially completed infrastructure remained behind, while environmental organizations, Indigenous groups, landowners, oil producers and governments drew very different lessons from the project’s collapse. That history explains why Trump’s resurrection language carries considerably more political weight than an ordinary pipeline announcement.

The Revival Is Not Really the Old Keystone XL

A modern Keystone revival would not simply involve workers returning to the original route and restarting construction. South Bow, the company that inherited TC Energy’s liquids pipeline business and certain Keystone XL assets, has been developing a new strategy with U.S.-based Bridger Pipeline. The proposal would use some infrastructure already installed in Canada but take Canadian crude along a different U.S. route toward Guernsey, Wyoming. Bridger’s proposed pipeline is approximately 647 miles long and is designed to move as much as 550,000 barrels per day — substantially less than the original Keystone XL design.

The project has nevertheless moved beyond the purely hypothetical stage. Trump granted Bridger a presidential permit for its international-border facilities in April 2026. South Bow then reported a successful commercial process, securing 20-year binding transportation commitments from nine customers totalling 465,000 barrels per day. That is significant evidence of producer interest. However, the company is targeting a final investment decision around the middle of 2027. In other words, Trump’s political endorsement could accelerate momentum, but it does not mean a completed pipeline is around the corner.

Canada Has a Powerful Economic Reason to Keep Listening

Canada’s dependence on the American oil market remains enormous despite years of discussion about export diversification. Canadian Energy Regulator data show that Canada exported about 4.3 million barrels of crude oil per day in 2025, and approximately 90.1% of it went to the United States. Those U.S.-bound crude exports were valued at roughly $126.1 billion. Canada was also responsible for 63.4% of all crude oil imported by the United States that year, giving the two economies an energy relationship that is difficult for either side to replicate elsewhere.

That helps explain why another high-capacity pipeline can still attract commercial interest. A 550,000-barrel-per-day project would represent a meaningful addition to existing export infrastructure; Reuters has estimated that the current proposal could increase Canadian crude exports to the United States by more than 12% if completed. Additional capacity can also give producers more flexibility during periods of rising production or pipeline congestion. The Trans Mountain expansion demonstrated the broader effect: after new capacity entered service, the Canadian Energy Regulator reported that pipeline constraints eased and Canadian crude prices improved relative to international benchmarks.

Ottawa Is Also Trying to Depend Less on the United States

There is an obvious contradiction at the heart of the Keystone conversation. Canada could benefit economically from additional pipeline capacity into the United States while simultaneously trying to reduce its vulnerability to American trade policy. Ottawa has spent much of the current trade confrontation emphasizing diversification, domestic economic resilience and access to markets outside North America. Building another major export route south would strengthen one of Canada’s most valuable economic relationships, but it would also deepen an energy dependency policymakers have spent years trying to dilute.

Trans Mountain illustrates the alternative approach. Its expansion entered service in May 2024 and increased the system’s capacity from approximately 300,000 to 890,000 barrels per day, giving producers dramatically more access to Canada’s Pacific coast. The Canadian Energy Regulator estimated that the project increased total western Canadian crude export pipeline capacity by 13% and export capacity to tidewater by roughly 700%. Yet even after that expansion, 90.1% of Canadian crude exports still went to the United States in 2025. Keystone therefore does not have to replace diversification. Ottawa could view it as one additional outlet while continuing to build connections with Asian and other overseas buyers.

Keystone Could Become an Energy Trade-Off

The emerging Canada-U.S. agreement appears to involve far more immediate economic issues than Keystone. Reuters reported that Washington is considering reducing the headline tariff on Canadian-built cars and trucks from 25% to 15%, while tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum could fall from 50% to 25%. Steel shipments would reportedly face a quota, with discussions pointing toward approximately four million metric tonnes annually before the higher tariff returned. Canada, meanwhile, has faced U.S. pressure over provincial restrictions on American alcohol, dairy-market access and other trade policies.

Energy infrastructure could fit naturally into that package because it gives both governments something they can portray as economically productive rather than simply surrendered. A pipeline creates construction and transportation activity while supplying U.S. refiners with additional Canadian crude. But calling Keystone an American demand that Canada reluctantly accepted would be misleading based on the evidence available so far. Carney raised the possibility with Trump months before the latest tariff deadline. That means the pipeline could become an unusual bargaining chip: something Trump can promote as an American energy victory while Ottawa presents it as expanded market access for Canadian resources.

Permits and Political Risk Could Still Stop It

A presidential endorsement does not eliminate the obstacles that helped derail Keystone XL previously. Trump’s April permit specifically authorizes Bridger’s facilities at the international border, but it does not exempt the project from other federal, state or local laws. The permit itself states that relevant pipeline-safety requirements and other regulations continue to apply. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management has also begun an environmental review for the proposed 36-inch pipeline running from the Canadian border through Montana to Guernsey, Wyoming.

For South Bow, the biggest problem may be political durability rather than engineering. Chief executive Bevin Wirzba said in May that the company needs greater assurance that its U.S. permit will survive future political changes, describing the problem as “sovereign risk.” The concern is easy to understand after Biden erased Keystone XL’s cross-border authorization in 2021. South Bow has said it continues to pursue regulatory approvals, engage with Indigenous and Tribal Nations, landowners and communities, refine costs and examine financing options. The original Keystone experience also guarantees renewed scrutiny from environmental organizations and opponents along the route. Presidential enthusiasm can accelerate permitting, but it cannot erase every legal, financial or political challenge.

A Real Keystone Comeback Would Require Much More Than Trump’s Approval

Several milestones would have to occur before Trump’s “awoken from the grave” line becomes physical reality. First, the Canada-U.S. trade agreement itself has to be finalized, and governments would need to clarify whether Keystone or the newer South Bow-Bridger project is actually included. Then developers must complete environmental and regulatory work, secure sufficiently durable cross-border authorization, refine costs and financing, reach a final investment decision and ultimately begin construction. Additional downstream infrastructure could also be important because Guernsey, Wyoming, is a transportation hub rather than the ultimate destination for most Canadian crude.

For now, the biggest change may be political. A project that became synonymous with Canada-U.S. disagreement is suddenly being discussed as something that might help settle a Canada-U.S. dispute. Trump wants another pipeline south. Canadian producers want dependable access to customers. Carney wants tariff relief while expanding Canada’s economic leverage. Those interests could overlap enough to give part of Keystone XL a second life. But until documents are signed and companies commit billions of dollars, the pipeline remains somewhere between an unusually powerful negotiating symbol and a genuine infrastructure comeback.

Leave a Comment

Revir Media Group
447 Broadway
2nd FL #750
New York, NY 10013
hello@revirmedia.com