Donald Trump is declaring a Canada-U.S. trade breakthrough, but the view from Ottawa remains noticeably more cautious. The U.S. president says the two countries have a deal, subject to final paperwork, after postponing a new 50% tariff on roughly $20 billion worth of Canadian goods for three days. Prime Minister Mark Carney has confirmed substantial progress, but he has stopped short of saying an agreement is complete.
That difference matters because Washington is already describing commitments it says Canada has made on alcohol, dairy and motor vehicles, while the Canadian government has not publicly confirmed those concessions. With negotiators racing toward a new Saturday deadline, Canadians know considerably more about what the United States says it is getting than what Ottawa says it has agreed to give.
Washington Declared a Deal Before Ottawa Did
Trump announced the breakthrough Tuesday evening, saying the United States and Canada had a deal that was still subject to final documentation. U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer sounded similarly confident Wednesday, saying American officials believed an agreement had been reached that would protect U.S. workers and supply chains while strengthening the broader North American economy. The announcement came after days of intensive negotiations in Washington and direct conversations between Trump and Carney.
Ottawa’s language has been more restrained. Carney said “substantial progress” had been made but emphasized that important work remained. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said Wednesday that Canada was working collaboratively toward a finalized agreement and returned to Ottawa for meetings with Carney and other officials. That distinction is more than diplomatic wording. As of Wednesday afternoon, Canada had not released a negotiated text, detailed framework or comprehensive list of concessions. Trump may believe the major political decisions are settled, but Canadian officials are still publicly describing the arrangement as unfinished.
The White House Says Canada Has Already Made Commitments
The strongest indication of what Canada may have offered does not come from Ottawa. It comes from a White House proclamation signed Tuesday. The document says senior U.S. officials reported that Canada had expressed a commitment to remove measures Washington considers discriminatory or unequal treatment of American alcoholic beverages, dairy products and motor vehicles. That claimed commitment was cited as a reason to suspend the new 50% tariffs for three days.
Washington has also described the prospective agreement in considerably broader terms. Greer said it would include comprehensive market access for American goods, economic-security commitments and alignment on digital trade, according to reporting on the negotiations. Those descriptions could cover a significant range of Canadian policies, depending on the final wording. Yet Ottawa has neither publicly endorsed that U.S. characterization nor explained exactly what would change. That leaves a politically important information gap: American officials are outlining expected Canadian actions before Canadians have been shown the terms their government is prepared to accept.
Autos Remain One of the Biggest Unresolved Questions
The auto industry appears to be one of the toughest pieces still being negotiated. Canadian-made vehicles and parts currently face a 25% U.S. tariff, and industry executives have warned that prolonged tariffs threaten the economics of manufacturing vehicles in Canada. Two auto executives familiar with the talks told Reuters that Ottawa has been pushing Washington to cut that rate to 10%, while the U.S. has been offering 15%. Trump acknowledged Wednesday that the auto tariff would be reduced, but did not announce a final rate.
The details beneath that headline number may be just as important. Negotiators are still dealing with how North American content should be treated when calculating tariffs. Canada wants broader recognition of regional content rather than a system that effectively rewards only U.S.-made components. There is also uncertainty about whether tariff relief would extend beyond passenger vehicles to medium- and heavy-duty trucks. For Ontario communities built around assembly plants and parts suppliers, those technical details can determine whether production remains competitive or eventually migrates south.
Trump Is Promising Major Gains for American Farmers
Agriculture may become the most politically sensitive part of whatever Ottawa ultimately announces. Trump told reporters Wednesday that tariffs faced by American farmers exporting to Canada would effectively fall to zero. He did not specify exactly which products or tariff mechanisms he meant, and Canadian officials have not confirmed that Canada has agreed to dismantle its dairy supply-management system. That distinction is critical because much of the U.S.-Canada dairy dispute involves tariff-rate quotas rather than a simple across-the-board import tariff.
Canada already granted additional American access to supply-managed markets when CUSMA took effect in 2020, establishing tariff-rate quotas for dairy, poultry and egg products. Washington has continued to object to how some of those quotas are administered, particularly for cheese and other dairy imports. The White House now says Canada has committed to address treatment it considers discriminatory. Until Ottawa releases the final terms, however, it is impossible to know whether this means administrative changes inside the existing system, additional U.S. market access, lower tariffs, or something more substantial.
The 50% Tariff Threat Has Only Been Delayed
The immediate crisis has been postponed, not permanently eliminated. Trump’s July proclamations threatened additional 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian products, including goods such as wine, hockey equipment and cement. Unlike many previous tariff measures, these duties were designed to apply even to covered goods that otherwise qualified for preferential treatment under CUSMA. The White House has now moved the effective date from August 19 to 12:01 a.m. Eastern time on August 22.
The threatened tariffs cover roughly $20 billion worth of Canadian goods. That is only a fraction of total Canada-U.S. commerce, but the risk is magnified by Canada’s dependence on the American market. Statistics Canada reported that 71.7% of Canadian merchandise exports went to the United States in 2025. The legal mechanism is also unusual: Trump invoked Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, which allows additional duties of up to 50% when a president determines another country discriminates against U.S. commerce. The three-day extension therefore leaves significant pressure on negotiators.
Steel and Aluminum Relief Could Be Ottawa’s Biggest Win
Canada is not negotiating simply to avoid the newest tariffs. Ottawa has also been seeking relief from existing U.S. duties that have already hit strategic Canadian industries. Canadian steel and aluminum products face U.S. Section 232 tariffs that can reach 50%, and the federal government has acknowledged that prolonged aluminum duties are affecting demand, investment decisions and the sustainability of the domestic industry. Canada has maintained counter-tariffs while negotiations continue.
There are now signs that Washington could provide meaningful relief. The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that U.S. officials were considering reducing steel and aluminum tariffs from 50% to 25% as part of the emerging framework. The same discussions include lowering the headline auto tariff from 25% to 15%. Those proposals could still change before anything is signed. Even so, they help explain why Ottawa may be willing to contemplate concessions elsewhere. For Canadian negotiators, the central calculation is whether improved access for American products is worth exchanging for lower barriers facing major Canadian manufacturing sectors.
Keystone XL Has Suddenly Reappeared in the Conversation
Trump added another unexpected element when he suggested the Keystone XL pipeline could be brought back “from the grave.” The original project, intended to move Alberta crude toward U.S. refining markets, was cancelled after former president Joe Biden revoked its permit in 2021. Trump did not explain whether Keystone XL itself is formally part of the current trade negotiations, and Reuters reported that its role in the prospective agreement remains unclear.
The energy story is more complicated than a simple resurrection. Canadian pipeline company South Bow and U.S. partner Bridger have already been developing a different project that would use portions of previously constructed Keystone XL infrastructure. Trump granted a cross-border permit for that plan in April. Reuters has reported that the project could increase Canadian crude-export capacity to the United States by more than 12% if fully developed with additional connections. Carney had also previously discussed Keystone-related infrastructure as a potential component of closer Canada-U.S. energy cooperation. For Alberta, that makes Trump’s latest comments potentially significant — but still far from a confirmed trade concession.
Canadians Are Increasingly Resistant to Giving More Ground
Any concessions Carney reveals will arrive in a difficult political environment. A new Leger poll found that 56% of Canadians wanted the federal government to take a harder line in the U.S. negotiations and make no further concessions. Roughly one-third favoured remaining flexible and being open to additional compromises. The findings underline how much the political mood has changed after repeated tariff threats and more than a year of unusually tense relations with Washington.
Business groups, meanwhile, are focused less on political symbolism than predictability. Canadian Chamber of Commerce chief executive Candace Laing said the tariff delay provides relief but does not offer the certainty that a signed interim agreement would. That tension will shape the reaction to whatever Ottawa announces. Canadians may welcome lower tariffs on autos, steel and aluminum while still questioning whether the price was too high. Without disclosure of the Canadian commitments, it is impossible to evaluate that bargain fairly — which makes transparency almost as important politically as the headline tariff rates.
The Bigger CUSMA Fight Is Still Far From Finished
Even a signed agreement this week would not settle the future of North American trade. The United States declined on July 1 to renew CUSMA in its existing form during the agreement’s scheduled six-year joint review. Importantly, that does not mean CUSMA has expired. Canada says the pact remains fully in force until 2036 and can still be renewed for another 16-year term if all three countries eventually agree.
That makes the current negotiation potentially an interim settlement rather than the final chapter. Washington is seeking changes to issues including autos, agricultural access and rules governing North American production, while Canada wants predictable tariff-free access and relief for industries already facing U.S. duties. Detroit automakers have themselves warned that tougher regional-content requirements could impose billions of dollars in additional annual costs. The most important question, therefore, may not simply be whether Trump and Carney announce a deal this week. It is whether the terms establish a durable path toward preserving integrated North American trade — or merely buy another period of calm before the next negotiation.